One of ABG’s goals is to reach out to the community to provide information about, and increase involvement in, urban food growing.
Although ABG is not responsible for the content of external websites, nor will be held responsible for the content of instructional materials donated by gardeners or other members of our community, we would like to share these with you in hope that they can help you be successful in growing food in your own backyard.
Read articles from our gardening column in the Alameda Sun here.
Gardening and Pruning Services
Suzanne Carter – Tel. 510-919-3911 – firstname.lastname@example.org
Randall Lee – Tel. 510-864-0841 – email@example.com
Michael Thurman, Jr. (specialty pruning, ecological design, fully insured ISA certified arborist) – Tel. 510-934-9687 – michael@thealamedaaesthetic.
- Alameda County Master Gardeners
- Alameda Food Bank
- Alameda County Beekeepers Association
- Alameda County Community Food Bank
- Alameda County ‘All In’ – the New War on Poverty
- CA Harvesting/Gleaning Programs Directory
- Alameda Backyard Chickens
Find a Gleaning Organization in Your Area
Adding to this list:
Tri-City Food Bank and Thrift Store – accepts fresh produce from backyards near Fremont, CA
Helpful Information on Growing Food
View a training video on picking fruit safely for the tree and you.
Following is a list of topics with instructional materials on gardening
- How to Build Monarch Butterfly Habitat in Tiny Garden Spaces
- Tips to Create Gardens That Will Benefit Bees
- On a Mission to Reduce Food Waste
- Fruit Tree Pruning Workshop
- Powdery Mildew – Bane of Alameda Food Growers
- Gardening on Balconies or Small Spaces
- Fruit Tree Care
- Fruit Trees 101, Part Three: Spring Tasks
- Fruit Trees 101: Part 2, Midwinter Chores
- How to Prune Citrus Trees
- Fruit Trees 101, Part 1: Which Tree to Plant and Where
- Bees and Beekeeping – Feb. 20, 2018
- Film Showing – Evolution of Organic
- Five Things Vegetable Gardens Need in November
- 12 Tips for Reducing Food Waste
- Asian Citris Phyllids – Inspect Your Citrus Trees Now!
- Farm Tour and Volunteer Work Party
- Fig Propagation and Garden Tour – Jun 20
- Growing Asian Vegetables from Seed – Apr 18
- Make Better Soil – Mar 21